For so many, sleep eludes us. We get through the day being groggy, grumpy and not up to our best selves. Looking for a safe, healthy remedy, I purchased a product from the co-op called Calms Forte'. I've used it before with some success and thought I'd give it another try. It does work pretty well, and as usual, my husband asked, "what's in it?" The main four botanicals in Calms Forte' are Passionflower, Oatstraw, Hops and Chamomile. So, my next mission was to learn about the ingredients which led me to Mountain Rose Herbs, and look what I found! A nighttime tea with passionflower and hops!
- Lemon Balm, a mint with a lemony scent
- Hibiscus Flowers, also known as red sorrel - has a high level of anti-oxidants
- Chamomile Flowers, used as a medicine by the Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans
- Passionflower, popular as a sedative (yay!) See my other posts for more on Passionflower
- Hops Flowers, first mentioned in European literature in 1079 and used as a sleep aid and to reduce libido. Monks used it to help young males remain chaste!
- Valerian Root, reduces anxiety. The root smells horrible! Suprisingly, the flowers don't.
- Lavender Flowers, can't say enough good things here! My favorite herb & essential oil.
Notes of caution: Chamomile is in the ragweed family and may cause a reaction if you're extremely sensitive to ragweed.
Did you know that avoiding excessive hops consumption (beer) can help men retain potency?